GJK Facility Services (GJK), a leading facility services provider, has launched their first intranet on the Elcom Digital Employee Experience Platform.
GJK maintains a large, dispersed workforce of over 2500, of which over half would be out in the field day to day. GJK needed a central digital destination, providing employees with a single source of truth to easily access information required to do their job, collaborate and communicate whilst out in the field and in the office, on any device.
GJK went through a rigorous process for the project and ultimately chose the Elcom Digital Employee Experience Platform to deploy their intranet. An out-of-the-box solution was a key consideration for GJK. The Elcom Platform comprises over 100 out-of-the-box modules of functionality, together with multiple third-party connectors that can easily be activated depending on an organisation’s requirements.
GJK undertook a series of interviews with employees to better understand the key information they were looking to access to do their job. Julie Baker, Executive Marketing, Project & Change Manager at GJK explains, “We felt Elcom understood what we were trying to achieve and could deliver it best from a cost and capability perspective completely out-of-the-box. The Elcom Platform was also easy to use compared to some of the other systems we had seen. It is quite intuitive and user-friendly from a backend point of view.”
"We did the whole project virtually due to COVID-19 restrictions. The Elcom team were amazing and really well versed and experienced in what they do. Everyone was just easy to work with and really accommodating in helping us to make our intranet as successful as possible. We were provided with a dedicated project manager who was available all the time and kept registers of the actions that had to be done to make sure everything was running along smoothly. The training provided was also great. We have a content team made up of key contacts from a GJK function area. They went through the publisher training and now manage their own areas or sections,” said Baker.
The new intranet is named Ask George, after GJK’s Founder and Director. The intranet was rolled out to salaried employees. Using Elcom’s security permissions, GJK will deliver an alternative view to their cleaners later in the year, surfacing content that is relevant to them and optimised to their needs. For example, cleaners will have a different homepage with prominent buttons that quickly direct them to key information they would be looking for such as Payroll and Safety.
Josh Anstey, Customer Experience Director at Elcom comments, “We wanted to offer an unlimited user licensing model with the Elcom Digital Employee Experience Platform for organisations like GJK who maintain a large frontline workforce that don’t have a company email or login. From helping to foster engagement with their cleaners, to offering a single source of truth for their entire workforce, it's great to see the Elcom Platform can provide real value to GJK employees.”
Key benefits experienced by GJK:
Increase efficiency and improve processes
- The company now has a single source of truth for a variety of key information that people need to know or have questions about, in one place. It features a staff directory, organisation chart, news articles, policies and procedures, key documents, general information, knowledge hub, FAQ/How to section, function specific information and quick links to external systems. Employees no longer need to search through folders in various systems or ask different people to assist them, eliminating the risk of using the wrong documents. With the intranet, GJK’s largely mobile workforce has the ability to self-serve through a personalised interface and access information on their phone or tablet from any location.
- Additionally, GJK has been able to increase efficiently through streamlining processes including moving to online forms, using form approval workflows and automating acknowledgements/mandatory reads of new policies.
Drive internal communications and culture
- The intranet has several sections that drive internal communication including news articles, policies and procedures, calendar of events, new starter section, and GJK quarterly award winners. It also acts as a depository of past communications so employees can go back and easily find information, in a user-friendly interface. This makes it much easier for employees to access information rather than having to scroll through their email inbox to find what they need.
- The GJK team are also able to publish news more frequently as it happens, whereas previously they would send out an internal newsletter every quarter and by the time employees receive the news it would be old.
Increase engagement with field employees
- Cleaners currently rely heavily on site supervisors to relay communications to them. When the intranet is rolled out to cleaners, they will have access to resources they need to do their job, as well as tools to engage with each other. This will help them feel more connected to the company, rather than just the site they work at.
- For the majority of GJK's field employees English is their Second Language. With the Translator tool, employees can change the intranet content to a language they are more familiar with. GJK are also using the Acknowledgement functionality which enables them to notify employees that a particular policy has changed and then have them acknowledge they have read it. To assist them, employees can use the Translator tool to read the content ensuring they have a better understanding of what has changed and how it affects them.
- Employees can also give shout outs to each other, nominate others for our recognition program via an online form and see what’s happening in other teams. They can also see new starter information on the site about people who have started.
Read the full GJK intranet success story.
Elcom partners with organisations to build meaningful and productive intranets and digital workplaces that empower staff to perform their best, anywhere and on any device. Elcom’s out of the box intranet built on the Elcom Digital Employee Experience Platform comprises over 100 modules of functionality, together with multiple third-party connectors that can easily be activated depending on your organisation's requirements.
The platform can also be extended for portals (board portal, client portal, member portal and supplier portal), and has a built-in learning management system for online training, eLearning, staff onboarding and compliance which includes tests, SCORM compliance and reporting.
Elcom is used by organisations across all industries including Austrade, Inner West Council, Ascham School, Kia Motors Australia, Forty Winks and Clayton Utz.
About GJK Facility Services
With over 30 years’ experience, GJK is a leading provider of facility services, committed to providing better experiences for their customers.
GJK are committed to providing better experiences and they do this by listening to what their customers have to say. Their D3 model, Discover, Design, Deliver, encourages a collaborative approach, ensuring they design bespoke, innovative service solutions. Be it optimisation, productivity or cost efficiencies issues, GJK deliver the results needed for their customers’ business.